What are the differences between executives & volunteers?

The Executives are elected directly by the ECE students, while the volunteers are selected by the executives. Executives get a vote on the budget, while volunteers do not.

Can I have a locker ?

Yes. You can rent the locker at a cost of $10 each term at our office located at MCLD 434. The lockers sell out within the first two weeks of September, so come to our office as soon as possible while they last!

For more information regarding lockers, please click here

Do you offer Tutoring Services?

Yes, we do. We often offer tutorial sessions before midterms and final exams. The costs vary between $2 to $7 per session. In the last two weeks of each term, we also sell ECE exam packages which have the past exam questions with full solutions, which costs around $5. Private tutoring is also available at a low cost. Please visit our website for more details.

What is the slipstick?

Slipstick is the name of our ECESS yearbook. Just like your high school yearbook, Slipstick is a well-designed annual book with information and pictures involving ECESS events. We sell slipstick at the end of each year.

What are projects?

Project is group work or assignment. For example, EECE 281 is a laboratory course, and in this course, you will work in a team and collaborate with other students to design and build some basic electrical devices where good communication and cooperation skills are very important. Sometimes the instructor may also give you an individual project, which are large assignments.

What is the HP50 calculator? Is there any cheaper way to get it?

The Hewlett-Packard 50 is a scientific graphing calculator that supports both algebraic and a stack-based programming language. For example, HP50 can display Reverse Polish Notation (RPN). You will need this calculator for EECE 251, EECE 253 and EECE 373, and you can use it in many other courses too. HP49g and HP 49g+ may also work. You can get it for cheaper by getting a P.O. box in Seattle, ordering it online to that P.O. box (approximately $90+no shipping) then going down to Seattle to pick it up. Another way is

What are tutorials?

In the tutorials sessions, the instructor/TA will explain the laboratory procedures, cover additional lecture materials, solve problems in homework assignments, and answer your questions. The tutorial session can also be a midterm/final exam review session.

What laptop should I get?

We strongly recommend this laptop as it is the only computer capable of running the required software… In all seriousness, anything works. It is all up to your personal preference. Most students will end up using the computer labs for demanding works anyway. However, the ECE department does have a recommend specification for laptops which you can find here

What are the differences between old curriculums (LIP/PIP) and the new curriculum?

LIP stands for Lecture Integration Program, which emphasizes lectures and assignments. PIP stands for Project Integration Program, which emphasizes technical projects. You form a group each term where you learn by yourself, engage in group discussions, and work together to finish two big projects per term. Both of these old curriculums which covers the same materials. Starting with this year, you may be permitted to complete your study either with the old curriculums or the new curriculum, and you may be also approved to mix the two curricula.  Please speak with an academic advisor before you register the courses. For contact information, see http://www.ece.ubc.ca/faculty-staff/departmental-contacts

How do I join the ECE department ?

You can apply for second year placement or change of program between March 15th and April 30th every year. To do this online,  just use your CWL account to access the application form. You will also need to write a 500-word personal statement, which is a complement to your application. Visit http://engineering.ubc.ca/eng/students/first-year/second-year-placement for more details.